Monday, August 11, 2014

God Loves Imperfect People

  No comments    
categories: 
The beautiful thing about God is that He does not expect us to be perfect.  It took me a very long time to learn this.  I would often tell myself if I do this, earn this, or prove this, then God will be proud of me.

It took me a long time to understand that God loves you no matter what.  He loves you in the times in which you do not even love Him or yourself for that matter.  This may sound strange to you, but all those people who do not believe in God or hate God, He still loves them.

Romans 8:38-39New International Version (NIV)

“38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

I love this verse.  Can you imagine that there is a God out there that no matter what you do, how much you back slide or how much you sin, He loves you anyway.

For myself, every time I messed up I would just wait for God’s punishment to rain down on me for my sin.  I saw God as a vengeful entity in the sky waiting to punish me for my shortcoming.  And if I could just fly right, then perhaps I could avoid any punishment that came down from God.

Do not get my wrong, God tells us that we reap what we sow.  Meaning that if you go around doing evil all the time then you can expect the same in return.  But I do not think that God is just waiting around for you to slip up and as soon as you do He looking to bring His wrath upon you.

That is not want God is about.

“For the LORD disciplines those he loves, and he punishes each one he accepts as his child” Hebrews 12:6


This is a hard verse to swallow.  At least for me it was.  Basically God is telling me that when He decides to bring my sinful nature to my attention by causing me to reap the consequences from my sinful behavior then it is because God loves me. Huh?

As a mother I have come to look at it this way.  When my son was about 3 years old, he climbed a bookshelf. Once I plucked him off the book shelf I began to yell at him to instill the fear of God in him to never even do it again.

I wanted to react to him in this way so that he could see how serious I was.  I knew that the book shelf could have came and toppled down crushing his little body.  Therefore, my reaction needed to be so harsh that I knew for a fact that he would not do it again.

Well isn’t that what God does not us? It is not that He wants to punish us because He is mad with is or hates us, but so that we do not keep repeating the same stupid mistakes that could lead us away from Him.

Just like I did not hate my son when I got on him about the bookshelf.  God does not hate us.  I do not care what you think, are going through on the outside, or what your circumstances look like.  God does not hate you.  It is impossible.

Therefore never let your past mistakes keep your from God or think for an instant that you have to reach some unrealistic form of perfection to come before God.    Because guess what, you will never ever reach it.

It is with God’s help that we learn how to stop doing the sinful things of the world, and we can never learn these thing or do them on our own.

I have come to think that God likes our imperfections.  He made us right?  It is not that He wants us to go around sinning, but when we truly listen to God and become a reformed piece of art it teaches us a good lesson about ourselves and about God.


Eight years ago, I was the hot mess express train ran over twice.  I would feed the flesh and live for self only.  And although I am still a work in progress I am no where near what or where I used to be.  And I could have never gotten there without God.

Even though I went through some very hard stuff.  I mean my son’s father was incarnated for the past six years (even before then he wasn’t there).  I really learned the meaning of being a single mother.   I would cry out time and time again that I needed help.  But for all those days that I felt no one was with me, God was.

I think so many times people can look at who we are today and never really know all the stuff that we have gone through in order to get where they are.

I was one of those people.  God always reminded me that “ To much if given, much is required.” And that does not always mean that what he requires out of you, you are going to like.  And just because you do not like it or just because you are uncomfortable, that does not mean that God wants to see your suffer for no good reason.

If you ever feel like any one is against you or no one loves you remember God does.  And God is perfect so there is really no greater love than that.  Who can be against you, if you have the master of all things on your side.  And even though, it may seem that they are winning.  Look beyond what you see and know that God would never put you in a place in which He wants to leave you high and dry.

I have come to learn that God loves imperfect people.  If He wanted us to be perfect then He would have made us that way.  So use your imperfection as your strength.

0 comments: