Friday, August 8, 2014

We Fall Down But We Get Up

  No comments    
categories: 
 This may come as a shocker to some people but I can come across as being very judgmental.  I do not intentionally do this, but I think it is a combination of wanting more for others and wanting them to see things like I see them come across to others as condemnation.


I used to think that this was a strength, but you have to always leave it up to God to show you that you are not as fancy as you think you are.

I am sure that most of us have heard the Christian song “We Fall Down.”

It goes a little something like this “ We fall down, but we get up, for a saint is just a sinner who fell down, and got up.”

I can say that I was reminded of this.  I have to sit and think of how many time I fall and fall and fall, get halfway up and then fall again.  Just when I think I got a hold on things and I am not going to fall again, guess what ...I do.

Sometimes I can get so hard on myself because of my downfall that I carry on a grudge for days and days at a time because of my imperfection.

It was not until I heard God say, Sophia, that is the point.  Not that God wants you to go around sinning all the time because He doesn’t, but what God wants you to know is that you are not perfect.  No matter how many degrees I get, books I write, and how I try not to sin, I am still not anywhere near perfection.  I am still going to do thing that are not going to be right.

Do not get me wrong, God does want you to try, but I think God wants us to see out shortcomings so that we can come to the realization that we need God.  We needed Jesus to save us, and there is no possible way that we can ever live a perfected life no matter how much we try.

Have you ever heard that verse

“How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.” Luke 6:42

I am not proud to say that often times this can be me.  It is so easy to see other peoples problems and their situations and tell them how to fix it.  But when faced with the same exact problem you know how you are not supposed to enter it, but you cannot seem to follow your own advice.

But I have come to the realization that this is okay.  We are not prefect.  Even at the height of our Christian walk we are going to fall and get back up time and time again.  And even though God does not like our sin, He understands that we sin and He loves us anyway.

I would think that when I messed up that I disappointed God and He would somehow punish me.  This is not what God is about.  He recognizes our shortcoming and He wants us to learn from them and not beat ourselves up about what we did wrong time and time again.
We fall down.

Noah fell when he was a drunk
Moses fell when he murdered
David fell when he was an adulterer and a murderer
Mary Magdaline fell when she was an adulteress

And guess what.  They all got up. And now their names are engraved in the Bible so that we can see that we all fall short of perfection.  Some people more than others.  But guess what, it’s okay.  Just dust yourself off, get back up, and keep it moving.

0 comments: