Sunday, October 19, 2014

What's In A Name? Living Up to Your Name. (#TheSW30 Day 10)

  No comments    
categories: 
My name is Sophia.  According to the internet the meaning of my name means:

“Wisdom; wise.”

The funny thing is I already knew this before I even looked it up.  It was when I was in the 8th grade and was taught the meaning of “Soph” meant wise in greek. It is crazy to think that this fact would have remained with me all this time.

I am a person who believes that names are very important.  I feel the Bible clearly shows us that.  He changed Abram to Abraham, Sarai to Sarah. Simon to Peter, and well as others.

The reason that God does this is because He wants to give people names that they are going to live up to.  When Simon was given the name “Peter” God said, “and on this rock I will build my church.” Matthew 16:18  Because Rock meant Peter.

Even when naming my son I named him Gabriel because it meant something, it means:

“ God is my strength.”

Some thing that my pastor taught me and I can agree with, and that is there is power in words.  So imagine every time I call out my son’s name I am saying “God is my strength” speaking this into his destiny.

With my name meaning wisdom I think the name is very befitting.  I tend to be the more focused and serious one compared to other people my age.  Often times when I introduce myself people will give me the meaning of my name.  They always say “ Your names means wisdom.” And then soon my friend or someone that is with me would say “Claim it.” (Meaning claiming the idea of me being wise).

If God thought so much as to change people’s name depending on what they will become or sometimes even choosing a name for them from birth; then I think God knew that when someone speaks your name and it has meaning, the meaning is being spoken into existence over you.

I do not know if it is the name or if it was me.

“If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.” James 1:5

The best part of this verse is that I can recall reading this at 14.  I was inspired to pray for wisdom.  I remember afterward I thought I would be smart right away. But God did answer my prayers like that.    The wisdom that I have now God has He bestowed on me as I got older through situations and relationships, and still gives to me still through different life lessons I have gone through.

I find it prophetic in a way that the idea of wisdom and being wise has played such a huge part in my life.  I thirsted after it at only 14.  It seems all the more reason that the meaning of my name also means wisdom.

Just a random fact, when I was younger I was not able to find my name on a key chain because it was not at common.  Then someone down the line, my name became the number 1 female name in the nation.  I find that funny in a way.  

I am proud of my name, it is pretty, strong, and it has meaning.  And that is something that some people cannot say.  It feels good to know that your name means something, and it is by your name that you are known to others.

I think I live up to my name.  But because I want to sound humble, I will say I will continue to live up to my name and strive to be wise (which is true).

“Don't be impressed with your own wisdom. Instead, fear the LORD and turn away from evil” Proverbs 3:7.

No matter how wise we think we are, we always have to remember to be humble about it.
Wisdom I feel it is a foundation to many things.  Solomon was the wisest king and with it came power, wealth, and honor.  Not saying that this is the only reason why I want to be wise, but the fact that these things are associated with wisdom says something.  Solomon asked God for wisdom instead of wealth and because he did not ask for wealth God gave him both. Solomon was known throughout the land for being wise, even that he caught the attention of the Queen of Sheba.


“When the queen of Sheba heard about the fame of Solomon and his relationship to the Lord, she came to test Solomon with hard questions.  Arriving at Jerusalem with a very great caravan—with camels carrying spices, large quantities of gold, and precious stones—she came to Solomon and talked with him about all that she had on her mind.  Solomon answered all her questions; nothing was too hard for the king to explain to her. When the queen of Sheba saw all the wisdom of Solomon and the palace he had built,  the food on his table, the seating of his officials, the attending servants in their robes, his cupbearers, and the burnt offerings he made at[a] the temple of the Lord, she was overwhelmed.” 1 Kings 10:1-5

When I read this verse, this is the type of wisdom I strive for.  The kind that leaves people amazed.

0 comments: