Friday, July 4, 2014

Finding Your Purpose In Life?

  No comments    
categories: 
There have been so many times I have spoken to people and they seem to be lost in the sauce about where they are in life as well as where they are going.  A mistake I see, is people trying to do/ be something they have no business trying to be.  This is a mistake because doing something you are not gifted at, will only lead to failure on your part.

I have seen counselors that should not be giving anyone advice ever in life.  I would often wonder if their client came out more jacked up then what they came in.  I have seen customer service people that no business interacting with customers, and on the opposite end of the spectrum I have seen people jump from job to job not doing well in anything.

Although I am not perfect, many people are confused about the way I handle this.  This is because I am so sure about my direction in life and where I want to be that I am at the point where I do not detour from my ultimate goal.

Where people mess up is that they end up not knowing what goal to work toward or they try to work toward a goal they are never going to achieve.


How can you be good and being an artist if you can’t draw? How can you be in a band if you cannot play an instrument? How can you practice law if you have not gone to law school?

The key point is to know your gifts and be able to harness them appropriately.  As a Christian, I am a firm believer in praying first and asking God what your purpose is.  I would have never thought I would have been good as counseling.  It just so happened through the natural course of things I got into the helping profession, and eventually God placed it on my heart to get a Master degree in counseling, and it opened up many opportunities for me.

It is so true about God knowing you better than you know yourself.  God knows what you will be good at 5 years or 10 years from now.  This is why I feel it is important first to pray, and consult God about your purpose first.

The reason being is because if God is in it, and He has blessed your path, then you know you are not going to fail.  This is not to say that when God gives you a path that there are going to be no failures or rejections because this is not true.  Often times there is a designated path God wants you to follow that will take you to your purpose, and it will more than likely contain hardships.

I will use myself as an example. I first worked at a correctional facility for three years.  It was there that I learned to have tough skin.  It was nothing like coming to work every day listening to inmates telling me how much they hate me and how they want me to die.

This gave me the experience for my next job and for the future.  Where I really learned that I had a knitch for helping people and what promoted me to get my masters.  From there I have learned to harness my gifts, learn to follow my heart, and God’s direction for me.

I have learned to use my life experiences, work experiences, and educational experiences to help others. And I feel completely fulfilled in doing this. If you would have told me 10 years ago this is what I would doing, I would not have believed you.


After undergrad my plain was to go to law school.  I applied and got a conditional acceptance and everything.  But I do not think I would have been good at it.  It would have been something that did not bring me satisfaction, because it was not what I was called to do.

The point I am trying to make is this.  Everyone has a purpose and a point in life.  It is my belief that God has a calling for each and everyone to achieve great things.  Where people mess up is that they do not yield to the process God wants them to go on by going on paths that was never intended for them to go on.  Or people are not willing to put in the hard work to get to their goal.

If you are confused about your purpose pray about what it is first, and then just go for it. This means plan, work hard, and ask/believe for God’s help along the way.

You have a purpose, and does not consists of sitting here trying to manifest your future with your thoughts.  It is going to be more than that, but one thing I can guarantee is when you do find and live out your purpose it will not feel like a chore, but it will feel like what you were meant to do, and it will bring you joy.


My Book Recommendations on this topic:







0 comments: