Wednesday, October 1, 2014

I Am The Samaritan women

  2 comments    
categories: 
For some reason the Bible verses of the Samaritan woman have been ringing through my head.  I think when we read the Bible there are so many obvious points that can be made from it but what about the settle points that are in the Bible and God wants us to see.

Just like the Bible says there is nothing new under the sun.  I would love to sit here and tell you that all women throughout all time were virgins when they married and they all lived happily ever after.  But this was not the case as can be seen with the Samaritan women.  If you are not familiar with her I would like you to read John 4:1-42.

As she was at the well Jesus came to speak to her.  In the short words that he spoke to her there was alot to be said.

John 4:9

“9 The Samaritan woman said to him, “You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?”

Right from the beginning we can see that this Samaritan women was not seen as someone worthy of  communicating with a Jew.  This is the first sign that we see in which she is set apart, and not in a good way.

Now here comes the kicker.

John 4:16-18

“16 He told her, “Go, call your husband and come back.’

17 “I have no husband,’ she replied.

Jesus said to her, “You are right when you say you have no husband. 18 The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is quite true.”

Whoa wait hold on lets repeat that.  Here we have a Sarmatian women at the well by herself.  She was more than likely by herself because other women did not want to be around her.  Let’s be real this woman has had FIVE husband’s and the man she was living with now she was not married to.  Imagine what people must have been saying about her.

Imagine what other women would say about someone who has had five husbands now.  Let alone in during that time.

It is crazy that we all know the story of the Samaritan woman, but have you really taken a chance to grasp what is says.  What do these verses say about this woman?  What was she looking for?  Why would she put herself through the pain of that many marriages all for them not to work out?

And even more so, why on Earth would she be with yet another man that she is not married to, all for the sake of what?

Either she is needy, has low self esteem, looking for a love that man cannot fill, or a combination of all three.

That Samaritan woman is so many women today.  How many women go from man to man to man to man trying to fill a void that they just can’t put there finger on?  And since they cannot put their finger on it, they try get a warm body to fill that void.  And when it does not work they move on from person to person trying to just feel loved.


It was so significant that Jesus came up to that woman.  Because you see, I think he knew that.  He chose this outcast to speak to because he knew that she needed it the most.  He knew that she had been looking for love in all the wrong places and has now settled on being a live in girlfriend all for the sake of not being alone.  He knew that only he could fill the void that she was trying to get filled by men.

As I talk about this woman, it may sound sad, but then again it may be you.  It is okay, it was me too.  I can recall a time in which I would always go on dates, juggle two or three men at a time.  I could not stand to be alone with myself or my own thoughts.  Having men made me feel powerful, needed, wanted, and loved.

It was not until I was forced to be alone with my own thoughts that I really began to see that the men that I kept was to keep me from facing what was really wrong.  I was looking for someone to make me happy.  I did not want to be alone.

I guess it is true when the Bible says “there is nothing new under the sun.”  There were women who were needy and desperate over a man then just like they are women who are needy and desperate over a man now.

So now that we have established this, what do you do about it?

The same thing that the Samaritan women did about it.  I am so convinced that Jesus wanted to prove a point to us women when he spoke to that woman.  He wanted to tell us women to stop chasing men, stop running after men, stop feeling like being with a man in the only thing that gives us a purpose, and simply turn to him.

John 4:10-13

“10 Jesus answered her, ‘If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.’

11 ‘Sir,’ the woman said, ‘you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? 12 Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his livestock?’”

13 Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

The poor woman was probably taking Jesus so literal at this point.  He was not just talking about regular water.  Jesus was comparing the well water to everything that the women had been thirsting for in life.  A man, wanting to be love, and wanting to be accepted.  He was telling her that if she simply drank from him, then all of those desires for others things that meant her no good would be washed away.


The same holds true today.  Until you understand the value of Jesus, you will always look for a man to full the void, drugs to fill the void, money to full the void, it will always be something.

It took me along time to learn that.  I would complain about why I am not married yet, right yet, why do I not have this yet that yet, not understanding that none of that stuff mattered if I was not right in my head and right with God.  Because like that Sarmatian women, I would go from place to place man to man thinking that happiness lies within them, when it doesn't.  What I was looking for was a work that needed to be done in me through Jesus Christ.  And when you come to a place to where you finally understand that, it is really a beautiful thing.

2 comments:

ms cookie said...

wow that used to be so me, and do you know the part about them not being ever thirsty again just made sense to me after all this years

Sophia Reed said...

yes something we all have to learn through time.